The Polypolis game was initially conceived as a testing ground for SARCHA’s “CCR: CityCommonResource (2010-2011)” research theme and the “CCR Athens Gerani 2010” pilot study http://sites.google.com/site/ccrpkpgerani2010/. Four different groups of players strive to resolve complex issues related to the existing human/physical/natural resources within city blocks.
As the current economic crisis hits a number of European countries, Polypolis social game takes a life on its own; it uses a playful manner to train/educate city inhabitants to cope ‘in common’ with issues that affect their life’s resources. In this context, SARCHA has started to develop local adaptations of the Polypolis such as the ones in Rome and in Thessaloniki.
List of the Polypolis presentations/game testing
Already played at
• Polypolis_Athens at the p-public festival - Chania, Greece, 6/6 2011
• Polypolis_Athens at Moraitis School - Athens, Greece, 12/10/2011
• Polypolis_Roma at the Urban transcripts workshops, University Roma 3, under the auspices of the Embassy of Greece in Rome - Rome, Italy 13-18/12
Already presented at
• «Public space – wanted» ΤΕΕ Conference – Thessaloniki, Greece 22/10/2011
• Athens Biennale, Monodrome - Athens, Greece 4/12/2011
• Polypolis_Athens – Official participation of Greece at the LFA Cultural Olympiad, under the auspices of the Greek Embassy in London, London, UK July 2012
• Polypolis_Thessaloniki –with the support of the Municipality of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece, October 2012
• Polypolis_Tainiothiki – Athens Greece, 2012
SARCHA seeks strategic partnerships to develop versions of Polypolis in different urban contexts and countries.
Polypolis_Frankfurt, Polypolis_Zurich, Polypolis_Dublin, Polypolis_ Rowanta, Polypolis_Patra....